Reading and writing don’t need to be limited to assignments. From family bedtime reading to pen-pals, young children can appreciate the benefits of English. Multiple studies show that importance of reading aloud for building relational connections. High school students should additionally be encouraged to set aside time to study for the PSAT, SAT and ACT.
- Read aloud with your children.
- Listen to audio-books on long car rides or while doing chores.
- Write letters to a pen-pal.
- Have a family story time.
- Visit your local library. Participate in book clubs and book contests.
- Go watch plays at your local theater.
- Build vocabulary through Scrabble, Boggle, Buzzword, Scattegories, Scibbage.
Learning English Websites
Many cities also have events. See the following links.