History helps us understand other people and societies as well as provide us with a sense of identity. Learning history can be accessed in many ways outside of textbooks. Biographies, plays, documentaries, historical landmarks, and museums are just a few ways to learn history outside of the classroom.
- Find local re-enactments events and historical societies.
- Visit historical landmarks and museums.
- Make a salt map of your city, state or country.
- Map locations you are traveling to during the summer or the locations of family and friends.
- Research the history of the location you are traveling to or your own city.
- Ask family members or friends about historical events they witnessed. Write about what you learned.
- Research one person in history (map where they lived, what they stood for, etc.).
Learning History Websites
Many cities also have events. See the following links.